Tuesday, April 14, 2009

whats the matter with you ah! shutupayourface!

ok as few words as possible here as that is part of the problem;
often when i'm out training I hear people and myself included saying things like

"oh i need to work on my muscleup/ rail work today"

and so, we find an area, then 2 mins later then again i hear/say

" that reminds me/ i realise now that/ i have to work on my x, y, z and then it will be easier to do x, y, z,"
or
"im a bit tired, this rail isnt great, the lights fading"
or even worse a lengthy description can sometimes follow of training futures; challenges, plans, schedules, diet ideas, training spots with better walls etc.

to this im now wary and think: you are outdoors, you have your trainers on, the time is now...shut up and go on jump on something...thats the point.....

talking should be banned in Parkour like in libraries....both are sacred.

yours
miss suddenly ruthless.
peace and love xxxxxxxx :.)

5 comments:

Dave said...

I think there are some times when conversation is useful. If I am training with other people then a large part of the reason I am there is to share experiences and it can be useful to know what someone is thinking. Also, if I am facing a particularly difficult obstacle that I can't get past myself, I may ask other people for ideas.

However a lot of the time conversation is unnecessary. Either we state the obvious and bore the other person with information they know already, or we state information about ourselves or our training that is irrelevant to the other person, or else we try and impress others with our knowledge or achievements and make excuses for our inaction in the present.

A parkour training session is fairly straight forward. We find obstacles and overcome them. We don't always need to describe anything to other people.

Heartonsleeve said...

to be more specific i feel at the moment that it was thinking and all that is associated with the rational language part of the brain that caused all the problem in the first place. Discussion will only perpetuate the issues.

i want to be an AN...I...MAAALLLLL

"thoughts create problems that the same way of thinking cannot solve" (Einstein)

Shi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Sorry, yes, I agree with what you were saying. Conscious thoughts can cause all kinds of problems when you want to act, voiced or otherwise. I didn't miss that point, I just didn't think I could add anything with extra discussion. ;.)

Something from Nothing said...

My locals started no talking signals and basic hand signals to get the essentials across when needed.

Adaptation training and it keeps the crappy and commonplace talk out of the equation.