Sunday, September 7, 2008

New Term, New Spots.

This evening I adressed yesterday's challenge with a hour walk scouting out potential training areas. Ideally for my level and preferred training methods I was looking for
-round and flat railings for a quadrepedie and upright balancing session preferably of a suitable distance for a good old womble,
-some small interesting precisons that could be drilled,
-some decent height walls for wall runs, traversing (thing of hideous impossibility) hopefully progressing to very cool pop vaults which so far are not a part of my repetoire (current repertoire currently headed up by the much overused step vault)and also
-some trees!.
Most ideally all all these archetectural events should be in a reasonably secluded area e.g not on a main road, not overlooked by 500+ estate residents on all four sides, not the favourite haunt of bmx kids, drunks,anyone likely to say "are ya going to do a somersault?" (no), "have you seen Man on Wire?" (sadly not yet but maybe Wednesday night),or "you should be careful you might break something doing that kind of thing" (been there, done that still plagued by the psychological legacy).

An hour or so mooch 'casing' the estates of Deptford and then finally various parks yielded happy findings, many with good potential to invent simple exercises that could be challenging drilling with high numbers. Particularly good finds that i'm keen to get head back and have a play on (which is always a good sign) are;

-a very erratic, dense and unique rail jumble. Its positioned by a mound of unmentionable rubbish that The Rat King of Deptford could use to hold state banquets but its also walled of on 3 sides so get involved I say.
-a tree in a very quiet pleasant spot which i can just about tag the bottom branch with a tic tac of the trunk and has lots of sturdy branches upwards of that. Good project.
-a park which is also quiet, nice railings, wobbly toys to balance on, monkey bars etc
but most beautifully of all
-THE RAIL OF INFINITY!! it goes on uninterrupted for a staggering 400meters or so. I had a visions of meditatively walking the whole thing on a frosty morning, mist in the trees, London still eating cereal and listening to traffic reports,just me and the rail,onward and onward, misty breath, tactile footsteps.... me wearing a nice scarf in flattering autuminal colours perhaps in a mohair or lambswool weave ?. I digress. I think i can definately get some womble action on that.:.)

So in terms of challenges:
I still have a rail hanging challenge from Thomas that I got whilst in Italy that I will do tommorrow. Another challenge I am going to set for myself is to get up at 5 (bleughh) to be out and about whilst its quiet and have some alone time with the new finds. That must be completed within a fortnight (quite a loose time frame i know but it has to fit around going back to teaching, I like to feel I have laying strong foundations for the new term, be on good form, able to be energetic and generous with the students etc).
Also think of a task that could be interesting for how do women move differently issue.Or think of a task for how do I move? and reflect upon whether the results are gender specific or not.

No comments: