Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rendevous 3 Day 2.

I had a brilliant day. My flatmate had to peel my energy of the ceiling and dilate it with cheap chinese food.

It was brilliant for many reasons. I found knowing that I had all day took the pressure of feeling like i had to be in the zone straightaway so I was more relaxed and happy. We had started with a 25 min run around the canal near the Westminster Sports Centre which was all good. Then came warm up/conditionning...i was more than warm and pretty dam tired so in honesty I didn't do all of the exercises and had no intention of. Is this terrible?...i figured ripped muscle fibres are going to gain worse tears rather than strength after the day before but maybe my knowledge is inaccurate?. Judging by subsequent 3 days of fatigue and plethora of pains I'm not even the slightest bit bothered that i committed the Parkour crime of not conditionning to death (!)as i gave it my all for the rest of the day.

We then split into groups to do 4 stations, 3 indoors and 1 outdoors. Its all quite a blur because this part of the day lasted over 4 hours which is a lot of movement. From the off, jumps were a little bigger, higher or further than i was comfortable with and normally i would stress about them anyone adjusting them 'for a girl' but it kept me moving and everyone was very encouraging. I'd picked a group with as few PK Gen regulars as possible like yesterday to avoid feeling any sense of expectation or an urge to make comparisons. I really enjoyed watching everyone in my group, some of them had some real flair and dynamism and i felt the irrespressibility of their energy provide a stream to carry me along.

One of the stations was a scaffolding cube with lots of junctions and variations of bars providing opportunites for precision jumps, laches, and underbars. Its density and height meant that there was a lot of suspension, rotation and swing within the small space so it was a beautiful station to watch as it was so alive with movement. It quickly became my favourite station and could I do much more than I did on the scaffolding in Evry. I wish i could go back and have another go!. Yann was on this station and i really appreciated his lead by example approach...when he talks about playing, being open and not analysing and planning to much he really lives and breathes it. Quite often he kind of slide down something the wrong way round ending up in a heap on the floor when something didn't go 'as expected'. I loved watching someone who wasn't inhibited about looking skillfull or in control but who could also share breathtakingly fluid and dynamic routes and constantly radiated energy.

By the time I got to the 3rd station i felt like i had built up such an inertia that , even when if I had slowed down or even stopped before an obstacle if i was unsure of my ability, rather than it being a dead stop where its easier to bail the inertia meant part of me was already projected over and it was now an easier option to move through the fear than to be stopped by it.

The lastt station was rail balancing which is usually my favourite. This time it seemed i balanced with nothing but willpower as the normal tiny twitches that keep you balanced had turned to the shakes and lurches of soggy tired muscles. Then came the bestest bestest bit of the day. In our last 5 mins the whole group was asked to simultaneously jump down from a rail balance and do a wall run arriving together on top of the wall within 10 seconds. Logic would say that being very fatigued combined with an 8ft+ wall, which at the best of times provoked a scrabblefest, would equal definately needing a bunk up. During, the first 7 or 8 attempts the guys clocked that i was preventing the whole group being up by 10 and started to hold back to put their hand under my foot and then get themselves on top after. At this point i started to realise i would have to be done and up by 5 for them to be up by 10. I ran at that wall with such a single minded imperitive to run up it that i bobbed up without any assistance apart from the feeling i had been wafted there by angels. I have rarely had such focused moments in my training when im not just attentive and in the zone but im totally consumed by a desire to achieve a massive action in moments...i doubt i can actively recreate it but i will look forward to finding my way back to that feeling.

We finished with questions to Majestic Force and Pk Generations, unfortunately dominated by many questions about historical pk conflict and 'shoulds' of training and only a few about the future and the 'coulds'. I managed to get them to squeeze in one finally question (no Dave i did not do a hand waving dance! i just happened to be quite animated:.)).The question was; were Chau and Hann as crazy as they are now when they were teenagers or is it because they are high on 20 years of PK adrenaline ? if so if i do Pk for 20 years will i be as crazy as them?. As usual they didn't really answer the question (!) but they spoke of open minds and open hearts and i got the vibe. I left with the feeling that the idea of 'true' Parkour spirit was actually something quite different to what i had once thought. I used to identify it as a mentality of strong mind and other catchphrases about working hard and being disciplined which, although this is part of it, misses out what i strongly feel is the priority.A strong corporeal spirit, a bounce, a irrepressibility, a feeling of being larger than life, of being psyched up; uninhibited and unapologetically a physical being.

8 comments:

blah said...

Wait, you seriously asked "were Chau and Hann as crazy as they are now when they were teenagers or is it because they are high on 20 years of PK adrenaline ? if so if i do Pk for 20 years will i be as crazy as them"?

I really don't know how to respond to reading that but I just find it hilarious, it's absolutely random! I was expecting a big turning point philosophical dramatic question but that... that is absolutely perfect! :)

Dave said...

As I said at the time, I agree with you about the quality of the questioning, with one (animated) exception. I think it wasn't so much that the Yamakasi didn't want to answer people's questions as that they thought people were asking the wrong questions and so tried to give answers to questions that made the one that was asked irrelevant. In the same way that when someone asks us, "what's the best stunt that you can do?" we feel that they are missing the point.
When you're observing experienced practitioners regularly I think it is difficult to separate out the part that is the core parkour spirit from the parts that are simply high level training. I don't think it is a problem if we don't all train in the same way as the Yamakasi, because we are all at different stages and as individuals need to train different things from each other anyway.
I think maybe we need to observe a variety of experience levels in order to distinguish training from spirit, and I think from my perspective that the Rendezvous was/is probably a good place to pick up on this. Does your perspective agree?

I enjoyed the scaffolding structure as well, and it was a shame that we couldn't have more than a few circuits.

With all the fun you got from day 2, I still don't think you've giving yourself enough credit for getting up the wall. Whatever was going on around you, whatever motivation there may have been from the situation or the others in the group, it was still you that decided to make it to the top of that wall, and you that did it. Those two bits are just you, and if you want to do it again then that is all you will need.

It seems pretty clear what your next challenge is (in fact, what your next two challenges are but lets do one at a time): Work out

what it was that enabled you to get up that wall so quickly and recreate it.
Was it determination, had your mind switched off all the distractions, had you relaxed, had you focussed, were you warmed up, were you too tired to think at all, had you just practiced it enough to become good, was it something else entirely? Try it as soon as you can so that you don't lose touch with how it felt.
I give you three weeks, otherwise I'll come down and start doing forfeits until you do!

Seriously lengthy comment over.

Shi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heartonsleeve said...

hey dave
i really like your comment that you have to observe a variety of people of different levels training to distinguish training from spirit...its a nice idea and i agree im getting more and more of a sense for this....

i also would have loved more goes on the scaff....:.)

in terms of the wall run..i acknowledge that it was a sucsess that came from within...but it was also a state of mind induced by a very specific situation....can you recreate that high/focus/clarity/fatigue/pressure/support etc!...?
but yes im thinking about those elements alot..so
i promise to deal with the issue in some way!
is that acceptable?
thanx for coments...the longer the better i say

merry xmas..have a good one...
oh yeah saw you winning a handstand challenge in someones rv3 footage....:.)
x

Heartonsleeve said...

hi chimp

..it wouldn't seem as random if u had seen them that weekend!...they had loco in acapulco written all over them..

sorry not to be able to bring back a better answer though!

merry xmas!

Anonymous said...

Great review Laura! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Glad to hear you had such a positive experience! Best wishes for the festive period! May your trials and tribulations be every bit as frustrating and rewarding and entertaining in 2009 as they have this year and please... keep sharing them!
Best wishes from Bulgaria!
x x x

Dave said...

That's probably why it can be difficult to understand the parkour spirit, because almost all of the well-known experienced practitioners have essentially come to parkour at similar points in their lives and so have developed their training and strength of spirit at similar rates. Maybe the best way to observe the spirit in action is to find the exceptions, the people who find their strong spirit before the physical strength.
If so, that gives me a slight advantage, because I found an example dancing about last weekend. ;.)

So, on to the important issue of challenges. I don't know if promising to deal with the issue of state of mind 'in some way' is acceptable or not. ;.)
It is of course entirely up to you, but there was a little bit of thought behind my offer to come and do forfeits.
Three weeks is a fair amount of time even with the holiday period, and it should give you enough time to experiment with reproducing physical state necessary as well as some parts of the mental state. However, if you can't recreate it on your own, then the only way to recreate the situation is to involve other people. I'm going to be in London again in January for some meetings anyway, and since you've got a stronger spirit than anyone I've met in a long time it'd be great if we could meet up for some screaming sessions or drunk teenager exercises regardless (how about it?), but if there's a chance of a training breathrough at the same time then I'll happily provide anything from enthusiastic support to groans of effort from having to do an exhausting exercise every time you fail. So I think the question is, how committed are you to the idea of being able to get up a wall? :.)

(Notice what I did with the emotional blackmail there?)

BTW, I saw that video footage too and I must remember to congratulate the editor! Cuts out the parts where the others have done about 20 handstand challenges just before that one, and the other three challenges I did where I managed about 5 seconds combined.
Did you see how red my face was?

Heartonsleeve said...

i should definately have plenty of time to train in january ...brilliant!.... lovely comments (small tear...:.))
i will facebook you about it...